Americal Legacy Foundation Scholarship Program
The purpose of the Scholarship Foundation is to provide undergraduate college and vocational scholarships to the children and grandchildren, including those by adoption, of current and deceased ADVA members, provided the deceased member held good membership standing at the time of death, and to any child or adopted child of an Americal Division soldier who was killed or died while on active duty with the Division. The Americal Scholarship Program was created in 1994 and has given scholarhips to eligible scholars each year since its creation. In recent years awards have totaled in the range of $30,000 to $35,000 annually.
The Americal Legacy Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit tax-exempt charitable organization. It was created in 2014 by members of the Americal Division Veterans Association and is incorporatged in the State of Texas. It carries on the work of the Scholarship Program and the Legacy Program that was started by the Americal Division Veterans Association.
Board of Directors The scholarship program shall be managed by a Board of Directors in accordance with the the bylaws of the foundation.
Scholarship Funds The funds of the Scholarship Foundation shall be obtained primarily from donations and grants, gifts, devises, or bequests. All funds received must be unconditional.
Applications Completed application forms together with all required enclosures must reach the Chairman at an address he designates no later than 1 May of each year. The application form requires the following of the applicant:
- marital status,
- high school attended,
- high school graduation date;
- father's name, occupation,
- mother's name, occupation,
- if sponsored by ADVA member,
- member's name,
- dates with Americal Division, unit, and highest rank or grade;
- if parents are deceased,name and address of guardian;
- name and address of school to be attended;
- applicants signature.
In addition, the following enclosures must accompany the application form:
- testament from ADVA member avowing applicants eligibility;
- letter of admission from school of choice;
- statement from current school principal attesting to applicant's character;
- two (2) letters of recommendation from current teachers;
- a 200-300 word essay on subjects pertaining to the Americal Division; See current topic at americalfoundation.org Scholarship tab